The Arts Academy at Benjamin Rush
Name: Lorraine A. Ustaris
Joined SRL: 2011
Lorraine nurtures emerging teen journalists learning to read the world and navigate their media freedoms. She promotes the practice of critical literacy within a social justice curriculum and believes SRL is an invaluable opportunity for students to exercise the power of their literacy skills in the world beyond the classroom microcosm.
She frequently shares her work at local and national education conferences and curriculum committees. In 2012, she won the Lindback Award for Distinguished Teaching.
- Students discuss the differences between natural, weave hairstyles
- Philly teens examine possible solutions to dropout epidemic
- Philadelphia teens report on area charity
- How is Our School Fighting Global Warming?
- A Community Climate Change Solution
- The Supreme Court Considers Dog Fighting
- Segregation persists despite Brown vs. Board of Education