50 years later, youth reflect on race in America and MLK’s dream
With the 50th anniversary of the March on Washington approaching, the PBS NewsHour mobilized youth reporters within its Student Reporting Labs network to gather youth perspectives on King’s dream and race in America today.
Here is a sampling of what they had to say:
To watch these reflections and more, visit the Student Reporting Labs’ Race and Change blog.
Schools and media programs participating in this report include:
- Decatur Central High School in Indianapolis, Ind.
- Fort Mill High School in Fort Mill, S.C.
- Free Spirit Media in Chicago, Ill.
- Maui Waena Intermediate School in Kahului, Hawaii.
- Paseo Academy in Kansas City, Mo.
- Trevor G. Browne High School in Phoenix, Ariz.
Upon hearing about local Valley students participating in the Reporting Labs program, the Arizona Republic produced this piece for its site azcentral.com.
NewsHour Extra Lessons: