On Our Minds: Mental health podcast
Why report on mental health? The media plays a crucial role in advancing our understanding of mental health and reducing stigmas around these conditions. Youth journalists, in particular, have a unique perspective and opportunity to show what mental health really looks like for young people, what kind of services are available to them, and the real stories behind the statistics.
- LISTEN: On Our Minds with Noah and Zion
- WATCH: Mental Health Podcast 101 Webinar. SRL youth media producers, PBS NewsHour Podcast Producer Vika Aronson and WETA’s Digital Director Justin Rhodes have an interactive conversation about best practices for audio storytelling.
- WATCH: Interview with a veteran mental health reporter. Karen Brown, longtime reporter for New England Public Media gives her best tips for journalists covering mental health challenges.
- WATCH: SRL’s Audio Storytelling Webinar Part I SRL’s Briget Ganske, WETA’s Justin Rhodes, PBS NewsHour’s Vika Aronson and therapist Cheryl Aguilar talked all about mental health storytelling during SRL’s first audio/podcasting webinar.
- WATCH: SRL Audio Storytelling Webinar Part II: Mixing SRL’s Briget Ganske interviews Editaudio’s Steph Colbourn about how she mixes audio and layers music to make her podcasts delight audiences. Therapist Cheryl Aguilar also joined to provide support around mental health sensitivities. Part II dives deep into how to mix your audio and make your podcast compelling, esp. in light of SRL’s first podcast project that focuses on #mentalhealth.
- WATCH: How to Record a Podcast. This NEW Level Up Tutorial discusses how to record the best audio given your immediate surroundings.
- Mental Health Resources are available for student reporters