Christopher Columbus High School
Name: Omar Delgado & Cristina Insua
Omar Delgado is a graduate of Nova Southeastern University, with a Masters in Educational Technology. He has been a teacher at his alma mater, Christopher Columbus High School, for 17 years and co-created the Christopher Columbus High School News Network (CCNN Live). He has been a member of the Student Television Network (STN) since 2014, and has served on numerous boards the Florida Scholastic Press Association (FSPA). This past summer, he attended the PBS Newshour Summer Institute to mentor students and other advisers in all aspects of journalism and video production. A 21 time Student Production Emmy Award winner, Omar enjoys inspiring students not only to be the best in his classes but also to be the best in the nation– his team won the STN Championship in broadcast journalism two years in a row. Omar was named Teacher of the Year by the NFHS in 2015, and by Christopher Columbus High School in 2013.
Christina Insua is a Suma Cum laude graduate of the Florida International University Honors College. She has worked in the field of journalism for companies like Hispanic Magazine, a division of Telemundo, as a writer and editor. Christina has been teaching in the highly competitive Mas Scholars Program at Christopher Columbus High School for the past 14 years, and is the co-adviser of CCNN Live, Columbus’ Journalism Program for which she has won 21 Student Television Production Emmy Awards, and acquired two national championships through the Student Television Network (STN). Christina has served on the board of several Florida Scholastic Press Association (FSPA) conventions and is a judge for the Journalism Educator’s Association (JEA). CCNN Live’s daily show has been awarded the Broadcast Pacemaker by the National Scholastic Press Association (NSPA) several times under her tutelage. She was Columbus’ Teacher of the Year in 2014, and has been working as an SRL Connected Educator for two years now.
Related COVID-19 Stories
- How teens are coping with #COVID19
- South Florida students discuss mental health effects of social distancing
- Blue Missions provides running water to Dominican Republic communities
- Miami teen creates Victory 4 Kids Foundation to bring joy to chronically ill children
- This Miami high school is training the next generation of law enforcement
- Explorer Reads promotes early literacy in Miami
- I’m one of the outcasts
- How effective is technology in the classroom?
- Students adapt to a new way of life as the war on coronavirus shuts down America
- Misinformation Overload: Teens Reveal Perceptions and Impact of Misinformation
- New Series from Student Reporting Labs tells stories of youth-driven civic engagement
- PBS NewsHour Announces 2018 Student Reporting Labs Academy Fellows
- PBS NewsHour student journalists investigate the future of work
- SRL Connected Educator of the Month: June
- SRL Parkland Reactions: We’ve Had Enough
- SRL journalists add critical youth angle to NewsHour midterm election coverage
- Teen journalists examine history and arts in the nation’s capital during week-long SRL academy
- Teen journalists explore what opportunity in America looks like in 2019