Oakland Military Institute
Name: Rachel Mahlke
Joined SRL: 2018
Rachel Mahlke is an English teacher in Oakland, California. She is excited to amplify her students’ voices through this medium. They are currently working on a collab about the culture of sideshows with KQED, PBS’ affiliate in the Bay Area.
- Are students taking the BART safe?
- The double standard working women face everyday
- I’m a strong Latina woman and I box
- How can young people use social media to create positive change?
- What can young people do to make their schools safer?
- ‘Black and proud’ singer on why now is the moment for laws ending hair discrimination
- Why on-screen representation matters, according to these teens
- PBS NewsHour Student Reporting Labs announces 2019 SRL Academy Fellows
- SRL Academy fellows explore how DC-area youth are making an impact
- Students relay their messages to the new president
- Teen journalists explore what opportunity in America looks like in 2019
- Why don’t young people vote? Teen journalists investigate